When someone whom you don’t follow on Instagram tries to send you a message, it goes to a separate “Message Requests” section in your Instagram inbox. We all see that a lot of spam messages and other many fake accounts try to send us messages and all those go to that request section and as a result, we see an unread notification on the messenger icon, which leads to confusion.
When Facebook integrated its Messenger with Instagram DMs, it brought many new features to the platform including chat themes, custom emoji reactions, etc. This also brings the ability to disable message requests from unknown persons.
In order to turn off the message requests feature on Instagram, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. Open the updated Instagram app on your Android smartphone or iPhone.
2. Now, tap the Profile picture in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
3. It takes you to your profile page and here tap the three lines menu in the top-right corner and from the pop-up menu choose the “Settings” option from the bottom.
4. In “Settings”, tap on “Privacy” and then look for the “Messages” option.
5. Now, scroll down and find the “Other People” section and choose “Others on Instagram” from here.
6. Under this section, tap on the “Don’t Receive Requests” option and then exit the Settings by tapping back.