At the 2020 Tencent Techo Park Developer Conference, Tencent Cloud, Intel, VMware Weirui, Huya, Cambrian, Meituan, and Capital Online jointly released the open-source SuperEdge edge container project.
SuperEdge is an edge container management system based on native Kubernetes. The system extends the cloud-native capabilities to the edge and realizes the management and control of the cloud to the edge, which greatly simplifies the process of application deployment from the cloud to the edge. SuperEdge provides strong support for applications to realize edge nativization.
SuperEdge is an open-source project jointly initiated by many vendors in the community led by Tencent Cloud. In this release, Tencent Cloud will contribute the edge-related source code in the open-source edge container product TKE Edge to the SuperEdge open source project. A number of community companies joined the project at the same time as the initiator and participated in the open-source co-construction.
According to reports, as a general edge container management system, the SuperEdge project has many features:
1. Kubernetes native: SuperEdge expands the powerful container orchestration and scheduling capabilities of Kubernetes to the edge in a non-intrusive manner. It natively supports Kubernetes and is fully compatible with all Kubernetes APIs and resources without additional learning costs.
2. Edge autonomy: SuperEdge provides L3 edge autonomy. When the connection between the edge node and the cloud network is unstable or offline, the edge node can work autonomously, eliminating the adverse impact of an unreliable network.
3. Distributed node health monitoring: SuperEdge is the industry’s first open-source container management system that provides edge-side health monitoring capabilities. SuperEdge can continue to guard the process on the edge side and collect node fault information to realize faster and more accurate problem discovery and reporting. In addition, its distributed design can also realize multi-region and multi-range monitoring and management.
4. Built-in edge orchestration capability: SuperEdge can automatically deploy multi-regional microservices to facilitate the management of microservices running in multiple regions. At the same time, closed-loop services in the grid can effectively reduce the operating load and improve the fault tolerance and availability of the system.
5. Intranet penetration: SuperEdge can ensure that Kubernetes nodes can be continuously operated and maintained with or without a public network, and also supports Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), and Hypertext Transfer Security Protocol (HTTPS).
Currently, SuperEdge has been widely used in Tencent Cloud IECP, WeMake, WeTransport, WeCity, WeLink, and other products and solutions. The landing scenarios cover the Internet of Things, industrial Internet, transportation, energy, retail, smart cities, smart buildings, cloud games, and interactive live broadcasts. Wait.